This non-invasive treatment promises an almost instant reduction of centimeters in areas of the body such as the waist, hips and thighs. However, Richard Baxter, plastic surgeon, member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, assures that:
Although massage has many therapeutic benefits, as a body-shaping procedure it probably won’t achieve much or a lasting effect.»
Touch that changes your body?
They can have favorable effects for rest, the circulatory system and the elimination of toxins. As long as they are carried out by an expert, since otherwise they can cause severe damage to tissues and skin.
That is why we tell you some «hidden» truths about reductive massages that you should know, with information from Patricia Otero, physiotherapist.
1. Eliminate what you don’t need. Some massages are ideal for mobilizing the toxins that accumulate between the muscle and the subcutaneous tissue, such as lactic acid or inflammatory elements.
2. Reaffirm. There is a line of special massages that are performed in a very energetic way to «tighten» the subcutaneous tissue. In addition to mobilizing part of the fatty tissue, they increase the amount of collagen; therefore, over time or with repeated sessions, the skin will be more toned.
3. Aren’t they at risk? Performed by trained professionals, with knowledge of its effects and contraindications, massages will always be beneficial. Otherwise, they can spoil the effects of excellent cosmetic surgery: by damaging, for example, the system for eliminating post-surgical residual elements.
4. Beyond the pain. If it is not known how to perform it, it can cause vascular accidents such as cerebral thrombosis, because under the skin there is an important capillary network, made up of very small vessels connected to deeper ones.
5. Manual or technology. Although some massages performed with elements that produce heat can generate vasodilation and provide benefits, the most indicated (explains Patricia Otero, physiotherapist), are the manual ones because the pressure is measured with the hands or how far the patient can be given a deep massage. without damaging your tissues.